Do you fall into a deep sleep at night but suddenly wake up due to thirst? Waking up thirsty at night is a nuisance. But if it happens often, it could signal a health condition that needs your attention. You can want to drink water at night due to the following reasons:
- Drinking excessive amounts of coffee and alcohol
- Taking certain medications
Being thirsty is a desire to drink water with great dryness in the mouth. And even if you drink a lot of water to quench your thirst, it does not help.
To be dehydrated at night is not a pathology. But when you drink a lot often, this is a reason to think about the cause. And it is impossible to ignore the frequent desire to drink water. It is unacceptable because thirst often indicates a disorder or disease. So, to eliminate thirst at night, it is necessary to identify its cause if possible.
5 Causes of Constant Thirst at Night
The most common reason for this can be a banal lack of fluid in the body. That is, the appearance of thirst signals the body of problems with water balance. Of course, salty food before bed will inevitably cause thirst. But if thirst haunts you every night, this is a reason to check your health.
The explanation for night thirst can be a change in brain biorhythms. You should consume approximately 1.5-2 liters of water daily through food and liquids. Dehydration increases the risk of headaches and urinary tract diseases.
But if you drink enough fluids but still feel very thirsty at night, it can not help but worry. After all, it makes you wake up and feel unpleasant symptoms. It can be dry mouth, muscle cramps, and fatigue. And if you do not look for the cause, it leads to bad health consequences. Thus, the causes of thirst at night can be:
1. Taking medication
A feeling of dryness in the mouth and an increased feeling of thirst can be due to taking a specific type of medicine:
- antihistamine and expectorant medications.
Any amount of water drunk will not be able to eliminate the discomfort due to the medications. In this situation, you should inform your doctor about this. They can replace such drugs with analogs. Then they will not cause side effects like unquenchable nighttime thirst
Thirst at night has an association with the presence of diabetes. This condition is characterized by a constant desire to drink. It primarily arises at night. You wake up from the fact that you lack fluid in your body. And if you are familiar with it, it can be a severe sign of diabetes. But besides, it has other symptoms:
- feeling hungry, even after eating;
- frequent urination;
- dry mouth;
- unexpected weight loss, despite a good appetite;
- a sense of numbness in the limbs.
In such a phenomenon, it is necessary to consult a doctor immediately. They will prescribe special tests to diagnose this disease.
The cause of thirst at night can be dehydration. Such a condition can be short-lived if you take the necessary measures immediately. Dehydration can be caused by:
- excessively active physical activity;
- a prolonged stay on the street in situations of intense heat;
- food poisoning;
- excessive consumption of alcohol and coffee.
All you need to do in such situations is to establish a proper drinking balance. After drinking enough liquid, you will not ask, “why I get thirsty at night?”
4. Problems with the parathyroid gland
Being thirsty at night can indicate problems with the parathyroid gland. This disease, accompanied by increased thirst, has the name hyperparathyroidism. Besides the constant desire to drink water at night, its symptoms are:
- general weakness and quick fatigue;
- bone pain;
- renal colic;
- memory problems.
Thus, feeling thirsty at night can signal you for an urgent visit to an endocrinologist.
People who snore in their sleep mostly breathe through their mouths. And breathing problems provoke not only night disorders but also dry throat at night:
- you wake up with a strong feeling of dryness in your mouth;
- you have an incredible feeling of nighttime thirst;
- you wake up very often because of your snoring.
How to Prevent Thirst at Night?
You can prevent your night dehydration by drinking enough water. But if water does not help you, you can replace it with other natural drinks. After all, being thirsty causes significant discomfort.
You can have an exacerbation of diseases that cause thirst at night. Insomnia can also appear. So, to prevent such issues, you should avoid dehydration.
Of course, the first thing you can do with this is water. But when you are very thirsty at night, even a lot of water can not help. Thus, it is better to prefer mineral water, water with lemon, or compote.
These drinks perfectly refresh the mucous membrane of the mouth. So, they quickly remove your desire to drink more and more water.
Drinking a glass of any of these drinks is enough to quench your thirst. And what other methods are there? Read below:
1. Drink water with lemon
Water with lemon quenches thirst a little better than without lemon. After all, ascorbic acids containing in lemons increase salivation. As a result, thirst disappears:
- one lemon per glass is enough;
- add it to fresh, clean water and actively mix;
- if desired, you can add mint. It relieves stress and refreshes, thereby masking thirst.
Before going to bed, such a drink is ideal for avoiding thirst.
2. Take liquid supplement drops
Few people know, but you can take liquid supplement drops to prevent thirst at night. It is one of the best options for solving this issue. Why?
- they have a 100% natural composition;
- their content is rich in vitamins and minerals;
- they normalize the body functioning of the body and provide it with health;
- the liquid vitamin formula is suitable for anyone. It does not cause discomfort when swallowing;
- liquid vitamins are absorbed faster in the body than usual supplements. It contributes to the rapid recovery of health and avoiding sleep problems.
Such vitamins can be for immunity or mental health. What supplements to take? It depends on the reason why you are thirsty at night. If you have it because of a disease, take drops for immunity. If this problem bothers you because of a bad emotional state, then drops for mental health are your option.
3. Сhew gum
Its use will make it possible to eliminate dryness in the mouth from thirst:
- before going to bed, chew one piece of chewing gum;
- take the chewing gum out of your mouth before going to bed;
- otherwise, you can choke, or it will enter the respiratory tract.
Thanks to the more active secretion of saliva when chewing gum, you can quench your thirst at night.
4. Drink tea
It is one of the most popular drinks in warm and cold seasons. And it’s not just a tasty drink but a great thirst quencher. Green tea without caffeine and dyes is best suited for this purpose:
- it doesn’t matter which version you like, hot or cold;
- there is no difference if you prefer chamomile or green tea;
- It perfectly replenishes liquid reserves and is also rich in antioxidants.
This way, it can calm your body and quench your thirst at night. With the consumption of natural tea before going to bed, the desire to drink at night will not bother you.
Being thirsty at night is not always a coincidence. In most cases, this is a sign of the appearance of certain diseases in your body. And the more you ignore it, the more this problem will grow.
Therefore, do not allow such an issue and try to avoid it immediately. The main thing is to drink water properly and not to use drinks that suck out liquid from your body.
The reason for this is dehydration. If your body doesn’t have enough fluids, you will feel thirsty at night.
If water does not quench your thirst, it can be a sign of diabetes. In such cases, you should urgently consult a doctor.
There are three most important tips for staying hydrated:
– Eat water-rich fruits and vegetables.
– Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink. By the time you feel thirsty, you’re already slightly dehydrated.
– Drink water in medium sips at a moderate pace.
Yes. When you drink water in large gulps, it settles in the kidneys and bladder. For this reason, you do not feel you drink enough. Thus, it is better to drink water in small sips slowly.